I love this salad! It is original, delicious, extremely refreshing and satisfying. I could eat it every day of the summer when the heat is unbearable and all you want is to drink water and eat frozen watermelon! I really mean it!
I remember when I was little, on warm summer evenings at the cottage, my father, tired from work, resting on the veranda with a plate of frozen watermelon and feta cheese. Then the combination seemed strange to me. The combination of watermelon and tomato sounds even more strange. But the combination of all three is a real surprise in the mouth!
Watermelon is everyone’s favorite fruit, synonymous with the Greek summer!
It contains a large amount of water (92%) and nutrients, while it has very few calories, contrary to what most people think, zero fat, and it is extremely refreshing and filling as it also has a good fiber content. It is also a very good source of citrulline and lycopene, two very important phytochemicals, as well as vitamin C, A and several other vitamins and minerals. It helps to reduce blood pressure, improve insulin sensitivity and recover from strained muscles. It really is surprising how healthy a fruit it is!
For my favorite salad you will need:
- 3-4 pieces of watermelon cleaned of their seeds
- a few leaves of arugula (you can skip it if you don’t like it)
- 1 red (purple) onion cut into slices
- halved cherry tomatoes (fewer than diced watermelon)
- 4-5 carob nuts (optional, but they work great because of their sweet flavor)
- grated feta cheese (1/2-1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- Salt Pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the pieces of watermelon into cubes after removing the seeds and place them in your salad bowl.
- Add the carob nuts, rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes and onion rings.
- On top, pour the grated feta.
- Add the fresh mint, salt and pepper and mix carefully so that the watermelon does not dissolve.
- Sprinkle it with balsamic vinegar and fresh virgin olive oil
I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do, even without the feta, strictly vegan version! Don’t forget the chopped fresh mint, it really lifts it up! Good luck!
Συνταγές,Food,Recipes, #Summer #Salad #Watermelon #Tomato #Feta
❤ XOXO ❤